ADR-03-Mk III Destroid Cheyenne
From Macross Compendium
Destroid Cheyenne Anti-Air Interception Robot
- EQUIPMENT TYPE: ADRs
- GOVERNMENT: UNITED NATIONS
- Manufacturers: Centinental-Clansman joint development
- Status: In production for UN
The ADR-03 MkIII Cheyenne is a Type 03, mass-produced, trial-manufactured anti-aircraft Destroid. It has mid-range armament, characteristic of the Type 04 series MBR-04-Mk VI Tomahawk and the ADR-04-Mk X Defender which are regarded for highly reliable armament and excellent productivity. However it has drawbacks: it is equipped with a gas turbine engine, not a small-sized thermonuclear reactor used in the Type 04 series' main engine; 2-legged walking systems are fragile and walking systems have low performance. Even so, it demonstrated sufficient performance for practical use and combat deployment was pushed forward. Centinental Corporation and Clansman Corporation jointly developed the ADR-03 MkIII and Type 04 series, evaluating the reliability of the armaments and the low production costs which resulted in mass production. While mass production of the ADR-04 Mk X, which was expected as the actual anti-aircraft Destroid, was experiencing difficulties, mass-production deployment of the ADR-03 MkIII went smoothly and sufficient activity in combat was demonstrated.
Variants include an anti-air missile Destroid type with two large missile pods similar to the SDR-04-Mk XII Destroid Phalanx. The Cheyenne was highly reliable and cheap to mass-produce with existing technology.
The Destroid Cheyenne is a carrier-borne robot for anti-air interception. Mass produced and deployed aboard the CVN-99 Asuka II in 2008. Wheels on each leg's knee and ankle for high-speed maneuvering compensate for fragile 2-leg system. Radar dome on right shoulder section. Head unit pops up for rotating. Cupola with hatch on the left side of the head and heat sink in rear main body.
The body structure of the ADR-03 MkIII was more immature than the Type 04 series. Especially with the 2-leg walking system, although equipped with a roller system, durability was not sufficient and walking speed was low. For air strategy and outer space, it is equipped with a rocket motor for jumping. Due to low practicality and danger from induced detonation, it was removed from the Type 04 series. Due to ammunition limits, prolonged combat is prohibited.
As a special feature, it is possible to remotely operate the unit as an automatic turret of the anti-aircraft system.
- Main Engine: 1200SHP-output Kranss-Maffai AGT1200 Gas-Turbine engine
- Sub Engine: 450kW-output GE EM9G fuel power generator
- Built-in battery on carrier-borne units for 30-minutes of operation. Carrier supplies power via cable and armored shelter.
- (anti-personnel) 7.6mm Machine Gun turret located at the crotch joint.
- (grappling) 2 x manipulators (identical to VF-0's) for precision work.
- (main) 2 x GAU-12 25mm 5-barreled [6-barreled] anti-air Gatling gun with drum magazine (APSD ammunition is used for anti-aircraft).
- (rocket) 2 x RIM-116RAM 4-tube missile launcher, capable of launching conventional rockets, signal and light flares
- Height, overall: 9.87m
Mass & Loadings
Weight, overall: 25.9t (with GAU-12 equipment type)
- Debut: Macross Zero Vol. 2
- Designer: Junya Ishigaki
- Name inspiration: Cheyenne North American native tribe
The Destroid Cheyenne is the first Destroid not originally designed by Studio Nue to be in an anime project created by Studio Nue.