VF-4SL Lightning III (Macross R)
From Macross Compendium
Stonewell/Bellcom VF-4SL Lightning III
- Manufacturer: Stonewell/Bellcom
- Equipment Type: Variable vehicles
- Affiliation: Richard Birla Transportation
Variable fighter developed as the VF-1 Valkyrie's successor. It has a distinctive 3-section airframe and excels in stealth and long-range trailing.
The SL-type of the omits the arm units and part of the transformation mechanism of the Lightning III's atmosphere specific S-type and is called the "VF-4 lightly equipped type" with specifications that specialize in anti-warship and aircraft interception. It cannot transform into Battroid and can only transform into an armless GERWALK.
The majority of these units, admired in the UN Immigration Fleet Escort Service, were sold off to civilians when the UN Forces switched to the VF-11 Thunderbolt and VF-14 Vampire and could be seen entering the races where it does not need the arm sections like in ostrich races.
- VF-4S: Atmosphere specific variant specializing in anti-warship and aircraft interception.
- VF-4SL: Modified S-variant.
Arm units removed from SL-variant.
- Two Shinnakasu/P&W/Roice FF-2011 thermonuclear turbine engines (maximum thrust in space 165 KN). Tuned-up 20% improvement in output.
- Thrust reverser.
- Three-dimensional exhaust nozzles.
- P&W HMM-1A high-maneuverability vernier thrusters.
SWGA Energy Converting Armor.
- No Armaments.
- Maximum speed
- at 10,000 m: Mach 3.1+
- at 30,000+ m: Mach 5.3+