VF-5000 Star Mirage
From Macross Compendium
(Redirected from VF-5000)
Shinsei Industry VF-5000
- Type: General-purpose lightweight air superiority variable fighter.
- Equipment Type: Variable Vehicles
- Manufacturer: Shinsei Industry
- Government: U.N.
- Customers: UNS, planet Zola's Galactic Whale unit
Shinnakasu Heavy Industry and Stonewell Bellcom began their joint project of a general-purpose lightweight air superiority fighter designed for comparatively low mass production cost and simple maintenance in 2011. The design was based on the VF-1 Valkyrie's design with research on Zentradi technology. When the aerospace development divisions of both companies merged to form Shinsei Industry in 2012, the VF-5000 became the new company's first development project and mass-produced fighter. The fighter was mainly designed as a general-purpose lightweight support and air superiority fighter, and its roles expanded to include aggressor and trainer assignments after mass production ended. First flight 2018.
Mass production of VF-5000 started 2020. Assumed the United Nations Forces' main fighter designation from the VF-4 (due to its lower costs) beginning in the later half of the 2020s until the VF-11 Thunderbolt's introduction. Mass production ends in 2029.
- VF-5000B: Single-seat version in UN Spacy service
- VF-5000G: Single-seat version used by planet Zola's Galactic Whale patrol unit
- VF-5000T-G: Dual-seat version used by planet Zola's Galactic Whale patrol unit
Blended wing body, VG wing; VTOL capability; single-axis thrust vectoring; option of air/space booster pack and weaponry system, or FAST Pack air/space booster and weaponry system.
- Landing Gear: Retractable tricycle undercarriage.
One-section ailerons and flaps occupy almost entire wing trailing-edge; leading-edge slats; conventional rudders in outward-canted vertical tail surfaces; two-dimensional vectored thrust nozzles operate in lieu of conventional elevators and horizontal stabilizers; P&W HMM-3A high-thrust vernier thrusters; one ventral fin under each engine nacelle.
- Two Shinsei/P&W/Roice FF-2015RB thermonuclear reaction turbine engines, each rated at 12500 kg.
- Two-dimensional exhaust nozzles, for enhanced V/STOL performance and maneuverability. Rectangular under-fuselage air intake with retractable cover in Battroid mode or space use.
- P&W HMM-3A high-thrust vernier thrusters.
- Option of standard atmospheric-escape ramjet booster pack system with dorsal-mounted ramjet/rocket hybrid engine with propellant tank, two leg/engine-pod-mounted conformal propellant tanks, and numerous vernier thrusters; or air/space FAST Pack system with two dorsal-mounted jet/rocket hybrid engines, two leg/engine-pod-mounted conformal propellant tanks, and numerous vernier thrusters in two dorsal-mounted and two leg/engine-pod-mounted systems.
Pilot only in seat reclined 30 degrees. VF-5000T-G has two seats. Pressurized one-piece upward-hinged canopy with retractable shield for Battroid mode and atmospheric reentry use.
HUD (displayed on canopy as in later VF-1 Valkyries); head sensor.
- Fixed rear anti-aircraft pulse laser cannon, mounted above dorsal section in Fighter and GERWALK mode or on head turret in Battroid mode (2 in VF-5000T-G).
- Standard external multi-purpose gun pod or shock gun pod mounted under central fuselage in Fighter mode or in manipulator in GERWALK and Battroid modes.
- Micro missile launchers mounted in center ventral section and in engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or in forearm and lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid modes.
- Option of
- Aerospace booster pack system with micro-missile launcher pods (mounted on engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or on lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid mode), and micro-missile launcher pod with shock ordnance mounted on dorsal section
- Super FAST Pack system with micro-missile launcher pods with upper exit ports for the fighter's own launchers and a lower exit ports for the pods' launchers (mounted on engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or on lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid mode), and micro-missile launcher pod mounted on central dorsal section.
- Length overall: 14.03 m
Masses and Loadings
- Mass empty: 8300 kg
- Max level speed:
- At 10,000 m: Mach 2.85
- At 30,000 m: Mach 4.73+
- Designer: Shoji Kawamori
The VF-5000's designation was inspired by the Mirage 2000. Studio HalfEye has called its model the "VF-5000 Star Mirage," although Kawamori has indicated in 1998 that it was only a nickname. It is now the "pet name" or popular name of the vehicle.