From Macross Compendium
General Galaxy/Mikoyan VA-14
- Type: Variable fighter-attack craft for Zentadi pilots.
- Equipment Type: Variable Vehicles
- Manufacturer: General Galaxy/Mikoyan
- Government: U.N.
- Customers: UNS, including Macross 05 fleet.
Development began around 2025 on the VA-14 as a variable fighter-attack craft for Zentradi pilots. The VA-14 has a larger frame compared to the VF-14, but the two units share the basic structure and transformation system. It also has comparatively heavier armor and weaponry, but because the engine thrust was increased along with wings being completely redesigned, it has higher combat maneuverability within the atmosphere. Mass production began around 2030 as the main attack craft primarily for Zentradi colony planets and fleets. Many are still in service.
Relatively high maneuverability in atmosphere.
Two Shinnakasu-Daimler FF-2770D engines. P&W-Daimler HMM-5C high-maneuverability vernier thrusters.
- Designer: Shoji Kawamori
- Design inspiration: General Galaxy/Messer VF-14 Vampire, General Galaxy/Mikoyan-Varauta Az-130 Panzerzorene, initial designs for Panzer Zorene Fz-109F (Knights in the Sky/Military History of the Knighthood in the Sky), Stonewell Bellcom VF-4 Lightning III, Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.
Shoji Kawamori initially developed the Zorene series in 1990 for the Holy Zaibach Empire variable air attack craft of Knights in the Sky (later Military History of the Knighthood in the Sky), the parallel world project that eventually became The Vision of Escaflowne. Several aircraft similar to the VA-14 appear in Macross Plus Movie Edition, but Kawamori has not identified them.