From Macross Compendium
Shinsei Industry/ Macross Frontier Arsenal Original Development/L.A.I. YF-29 Durandal
- Manufacturer: Shinsei Industry/ Macross Frontier Arsenal Original Development/L.A.I.
After the Gallia 4 incident in 2048, which was not made public, a new airframe was necessary to combat the Vajra-threat. The YF-29 was developed in secret to exceed the YF-24, which being developed at the time. For development, it was the sibling unit to the similar VF-25 Messiah, where L.A.I. and the Macross Frontier fleet engineers played a central role. The biggest difference between the VF-25 is the equipping of four thermonuclear reaction turbine engines and the breakthrough maneuverability performance through the greater thrust. Although the VF-25 Messiah was an excellent craft, additional equipment such as the Armor pack and the Tornado pack were needed to oppose the Vajra. While the VF-25 Messiah's Tornado pack was a trial-production for proof-of-concept and data collection, the airframe became terribly large when it was attached. The YF-29 applies Fold Quartz extracted from the Vajra into various equipment, such as energy converting armor or fold wave projector, demonstrating capabilities greater than equivalent standard equipment.
The most important part to achieving the specifications are the "Philosopher's Stone"; natural-shaped, highly-purified fold quartz whose refinement has been difficult but successfully acquired from the Vajra corpses. An innovative device called the Fold Wave System enabled an inexhaustible supply of energy was created and the YF-29 was completed at last. The Fold Wave system is an overdrive system with four Fold Quartz and is equipped with a total of four fold wave devices. Those devices were named after the four relics contained in golden hilt of saintly sword Durandal, "Saint Peter's tooth", "Saint Basil's blood ", "Saint Denis' hair", and "piece of the Blessed Virgin Mary's raiment". But it is the anti-Vajra performance that stands out in the YF-29's distinctiveness. Other than the important communications tracing, it can jam Vajra communications by fold waves. That performance delivered the fold song to the front lines played a major role at the end of the conflict with the Vajra.
The YF-29's development had been advanced for anti-Vajra use. Alto Saotome's unit was hastily built arranging parts from the VF-25. Therefore, it has unique performance unlike the original design. But the combat performance of the existing airframe was surpassed in actual combat.
Forward-swept wings. Four-section design. Fold Wave system. Fold Wave projector system. Fold Quartz amplifier installed on each side of fuselage. Fold quartz not only improves airframe performance but also amplifies the effect of intervention and obstruction of Vajra fold network and fold song. The YF-29 incorporates the wing-mounted engines into the main wing. By allowing the main wings to extend and contract, the wing-mounted engines can be brought closer to the airframe's center of gravity. Not only are the wings mounted on the engines and is given an area rule-like element but the shape is devised by fairing on the rounded section. Aerodynamic performance is improved over the Tornado pack due to storing twin beam cannon. Although the nose and other parts share the VF-25's silhouette, the airframe deviates from the structure of the VF-25, reworking the details and greatly improving the fuselage strength. It acquires the armor strength of the VF-25's Armored pack. Dimension Eater brought from Macross Galaxy via L.A.I. and is fired as a quantum beam. To increase the strength of the retracting wings, it adopts forward-swept wings like the VF-19. Super pack and additional outer space equipment with high-maneuverability/propellant pack, 2 high-powered fold wave projector/micro-missile launchers, and SLE-7A chemical rocket engine.
- Two Shinsei Industry/ P&W/ RR FF-3001/FC1 Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space, maximum thrust of 2,105 KN)
- Two Shinsei Industry/ LAI/ RR FF-3003J/FC1 Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine ramjet engine (in space, maximum thrust of 1,470 KN [1,970 KN]). Wing engines can rotate.
- In atmosphere, by switching the ramjet to high-speed mode, thrust increase is possible.
- Super pack propellant pods (with high-maneuver thrusters) for space are added to the front of outer wing engine pod. These carry the propellant required for the 4 engines. In atmosphere, propellant tanks on the outer wing engine pods are removed. Two SLE-7A chemical rocket boosters from the VF-25's Super pack at the rear end of the main wing corresponding the the increased weight from the space equipment. Can be purged when fuel is exhausted.
One pilot with EX-Gear. Although normally a single seat-craft, the rear is equipped with an auxiliary seat. Auxiliary seat is hidden by a cover. At time of use, the cover is pulled and the auxiliary seat rises.
SWGA Energy Converting Armor. Chaff-Flare-Smoke discharger system. Active Stealth system. Fold Wave System (1) improves performance of thermonuclear turbine engine, allowing the engine to generate thrust to the design load limit, (2) Energy from the Fold Quartz allows full operation of energy converting armor, (3) Enables detection, amplification, and analysis of fold waves.
- Super parts contain high-powered fold wave projectors in wing-tip pods. Projectors are retracted within atmosphere. Wings are retracted (high-speed form) when equipped.
- Gun pod
- One Howard/LAI HPB-01A Heavy Quantum Beam gun pod.
- Two Remington ES-25A 25mm high-speed machine gun.
- One TW2-MDE/M25 twin concealed-type MDE beam cannon.
- Twelve Bifors MBL-02S micro-missile launchers. Two exit ports in each engine pod and 4 exit ports in each conformal armament pods. Maximum of 100 missiles. Small missiles are equipped with the shoulders and sides of the legs. Leg missiles can separate from the center into 2 blocks, and can be launch missiles up to 270-degrees.
- Note: Micro-missile warheads converted to MDE-warheads for anti-Vajra use.
- Assault knife for close combat in Battroid or GERWALK mode stored in shield.
- Heavy-armored Shield mounted on center rear dorsal fuselage in Fighter mode or on lower left arm section in GERWALK and Battroid modes.
- Pin-point barrier system.
- Optional packs
- Super Pack. High-output Fold Wave projectors. Two Micro-missile launchers located in wing tip pods.
- Length, overall: 18.73 m
- Width, overall: 14.15 m (with main wings deployed)
- Height (without landing gear): 3.88 m
Mass and Loadings
- Mass empty: 11,920 kg [15,620 kg] (not including space equipment)
- Maximum speed:
- standard, in atmosphere at 10,000 m: Mach 5.5+ (on account of the fuselage heat-resistance limit. Possible speeds of greater than Mach 10 for brief periods)
- Maximum airframe design load: 32.5 kg [40.0 G]
Although Shoji Kawamori originally intended to design the YF-29 with forward swept wings like the YF-19, he didn't plan for it to have 4 sections like the VF-27 Lucifer. His inspiration came from incorporating elements of the first movie's Tornado pack.