SDR-04-Mk XII Destroid Phalanx
From Macross Compendium
- MANUFACTURER: SDF-1 Macross onboard weapons plant
- EQUIPMENT: SDRs
- GOVERNMENT: UNITED NATIONS GOVERNMENT
- MODEL: SDR-04-Mk XII Phalanx Space Defense Destroid
The SDR-04-Mk XII Phalanx was developed for specifically for space to defend the SDF-1 Macross along with its sister unit, the ADR-04-MkX Defender [fleet defense of the CVS-101 Prometheus and the SLV-111 Daedalus after they had been converted for space use]. The SDR-04-MK XII's first rollout [development] occurred in 2009 July [and the rollout began December of the same year]. A newly designed body was hastily built that combined MBR-04 Destroid replacement and repair parts that were already loaded on SLV-111 Daedalus becoming a simple weapon composition where the missiles and radar are mounted on the main rotating body.
On SDF-1 Macross, 20 or more were manufactured for outer-space defense of the hull, along with the Defender. Because the first Stellar War had already come to an end, and remarkable military gains could not be displayed, but mobility in outer space is greater than any other Destroid. After the war, they were deployed on military bases as part of the defense forces. Because of its mobility, it operated on ground as well as in space.
This space close-in defense Destroid type was hurriedly developed during SDF-1 Macross's year-long maiden voyage. Searchlight pivots 90 degrees up or down. A model equipped with gatling guns in the head and other variations exists but the large majority of the Phalanx were equipped with missiles. This unit specialized in close defense and space operations is designed to be a simple structure depending on a thermonuclear power system and simplification of the targeting and delivery system of the guided armaments. As a result, this system could be mass-produced even inside Macross and substituted for the Defender's deployment because of the complexity of that system. A disadvantage is said when the drive is shorter when using the thermonuclear propulsion nozzles. Because it used the MBR-04's ambulatory system, the hip and leg structure is common with the Tomahawk and Defender. The upper body is newly manufactured neglecting silliness, with a simple core structure equipped with weapons, a search device, and propulsion system. Combat operation capability decreased substantially when it exhausted it missiles.
- CREW: 1
- Primary: Kranss-Maffai MT828 thermonuclear reactor developing 2800 shp
- Auxiliary: Shinnakasu Industry CT 03 miniature thermonuclear generator rated at 970 kW
- 2 x 22-missile Howard SHIN-SHM-10 Derringer short-range high-maneuverability self-guided missile pod
- Texco DARDA-3C electronic system. Radar system installed in the chest can be used to attack by method of direct gamma-ray irradiation. If output is foolishly large, damage to the pilot can occur in the unit's cockpit.
- Large three-part positionable variable-focus laser searchlight
- Length (overall): 5.1 m
- Width (overall): 10.8 m
- (overall): 12.05 m
- (Ground to searchlight): 11.27 m
Mass and Loadings
- Mass: 47200 kg
- Designer: Kazutaka Miyatake